Re: Assertion failes in w32uniscribe.c

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Assertion failes in w32uniscribe.c
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 02:14:37 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
It is still slow, though. From  "emacs -Q -f view-hello-file" to
actually see etc/HELLO, about 8-10 seconds, or three times slower than
the same operation using --disable-font-backend.

I see a 5 second vs 3 second delay, but it'll depend on how many and which fonts you have installed. I don't think a performance hit can be avoided, as font enumeration is slow on Windows anyway, and we are searching for fonts in far more detail than before, especially for complex South and South East Asian scripts. Once a font is found, it is cached, so the slowdown only occurs the first time you encounter a character that needs an as yet unknown font.