Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:09:19 -0400

> VC shows warnings from CVS in the target buffer, e.g. when invoking C-
> x C-v =, I would get things like

> cvs diff: warning: failed to open /Users/dr/.cvspass for reading: No such
> file or directory

> in the *vc-diff* buffer.  Wouldn't this be better shown in the echo area, if
> at all?

It seems better in the *vc-diff* buffer where the user will be sure to
see it than in the echo area where it'll be overwritten soon after
(especially for multi-line messages).

> The warnings are quite a pain in the buffer, given that I would normally
> copy&paste the whole contents from there.

Any reason why you can't fix the problem so that CVS doesn't complain?

> A quick look at vc.el suggests that `vc-do-command' calls `start-
> process', directing stdout and stderr into the current buffer.

Yes, it's done on purpose because it seems like the best place to put
this info.

        Stefan