RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:05:21 -0700

>     It seems that Richard is in favour of a scheme which
>     supports both ^ in the interactive spec and a command
>     property (for external packages),
>     but IMHO, this is overkill --
>
> It is cleaner to have this in `interactive' than in a
> separate property.
>
>     If we name the property something like shift-select, then the help
>     system can easily tell people that "applying the Shift modifier to
>     this command will start or extend the active region".
>
> It can do that based on the interactive spec, too.  That is a
> good idea.

I have not followed this shift discussion closely; sorry.

I assumed that users will be able to easily turn this feature off, so that Shift
will then not automatically act on cursor-moving commands to extend the region.
Is that not the case?

If it is the case, then how does that fit with Help explaining, for each such
command, that Shift extends the region?

Will there be a user option to turn this feature off? In that case, Help could
make the info conditional by mentioning that user option (If `foo' is non-nil,
then applying the Shift modifier to this command will start or extend the active
region".

[Just for the record, I'm not crazy about having Shift-extends-the-region turned
on by default. Among other things, it could have the effect of discouraging
libraries and perhaps even users from using Shift with cursor-moving keys for
something else. That is a lot of key sequences that will be lost/discouraged,
for little gain, IMO.]