Re: Feature Request : autoload-form

From: paul r
Subject: Re: Feature Request : autoload-form
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:44:11 +0200

2008/4/2, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:

> The standard way is to put them in the directories that Emacs looks in:
>  /usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp and
>  /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.

 - It is not writable as a user
 - it is not user-specific
 - there is no standard repository where to get librairies from
 - there is no standard way to fetch them
 - there is no automatic mean to keep them up to date.

Emacs need a packaging system to give satisfactory solution to all
theses problems. I know it has already been discussed here, and I do
not aim to restart the debate (yet). But the proper, and universal
way, to distribute such a large piece of software, is through a
packaging system. Be the repositories under full control of the FSF.