Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:36:14 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Martin,

> BTW, do we want a `split-width-threshold'?

What would that do?

Judging from the name I think it would inhibit splitting if the
resulting window would be smaller than that threshold and reuse the
least recently used window instead.  I'd welcome such a feature (I
usually don't want windows that are smaller than 80 columns), but
wouldn't we need the same for height, too?

Additionally we might need something like `split-window-special-regexp'
for buffers that should not obey this threshold.  For example I can
imagine that a minimum width of 80 columns is not what users expect for
a buffer displaying a speedbar-like file tree.  But maybe that's not
needed if all modes that use such special buffers call `split-window'
with explicit `size' parameter.

Bye,
Tassilo