Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:00:04 +0200

   Xavier Maillard wrote:
   > What's more, it takes really long time to perform things even
   > with a pretty new bazaar repository. I have switched a few
   > projects just to take measure and no matter how big is the
   > history, all operations are rather expensive in time compared to
   > any other DVC I am using.

   That's strange. Are you comparing to mercurial or git ? Which version of
   bzr were you using (bzr --version) ?

I am using bzr.dev.

   > As my python skills are rather small, I can't contribute much
   > to help "profiling" the code.

   I think giving the name of the projects (if they are open source) and
   the commands you were using would be enough to see an eventual problem.
   I don't have experience for large projects with long history (the
   biggest project I use bzr with is ~ 2000 files with ~ 4000 revisions),
   but I compared those with mercurial a few months ago, and they were
   comparable in speed for branch/st/ci/diff commands (log and blame were
   much slower, but again, if there is no history, I don't think that's
   what you are talking about).

The major bottleneck happens with GNU Emacs repository. My
projetcs are pretty small (in files and revisions) but they
"lag".

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org