Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:10:53 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Leo,

> On 2008-03-27 20:57 +0000, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> It's the agent cache overview, right?  I don't use the agent, so I'm
>> not familiar with it, but IIRC it's no problem to delete the corrupt
>> overview file.  Does this help?
>
> How to set up Gnus not to use agent?

Hit ^ in the *Group* buffed to get to the *Server* buffer.  Each
agentized server has a (agent) indicator in its line.  You can
enable/disable the agent for a server with `J a'/`J r'.

> I had some .overview files that was bigger than 10M and they slowed
> down Gnus severely.

Not using the agent for non-local servers will probably slow down Gnus
much more, because then it'll download an article from the server each
time it's requested.  With the agent it's downloaded only once, and then
it's cached.

Bye,
Tassilo