Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:40:02 +0100

> I do think it's a misfeature: Emacs is a bit trigger happy with windows.
> When resizing frames/windows, I believe it should generally try to avoid
> deleting windows when possible.  Patches in this direction are welcome
> (we have already improved this, e.g. by replacing the C-x + code, with
> the introduction of adjust-window-trailing-edge, ...).

Setting `window-min-height' and `window-min-width' to their minimum
values _should_ handle that.  If it doesn't we have a bug to fix.  If it
does we might reconsider the default values.

>>One aspect that puzzles me is why, when `window-min-height' equals 1,
>>Emacs doesn't simply display the window's modeline.
>
> Between the header-line, the mode-line, and the buffer text itself,
> Emacs assumes here that it's more important to show the buffer text.
> It may not always be the best choice, but it does make sense.

It's a terrible choice IMO because it makes the text of the buffer
displayed in an upper window appear part of the buffer displayed in the
lower window _without the slightest feedback_.  Moreover, it doesn't
permit to resize the one-line window by dragging its modeline.

>>Another problem is that Emacs doesn't record window sizes accross
>>(de-)maximizations.  Hence in your ediff control panel example you'd
>>have to fix the window-height at 1 in order to handle re-maximization as
>>intended :-(
>
> I'm not sure what better behavior you're thinking of.

Ideally, de-maximizing a maximized frame followed by re-maximizing it
should restore the previous window sizes.