Re: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient Mark M

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient Mark Mode on bydefault]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:42:39 +0100

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

I've been thinking; what are the requirements here?  I think they're:
(i) It must be _easy_ for a newbie to start an Emacs in "lazy" mode
  (i.e., with the UI stuff from lesser applications enabled).

Yes.

(ii) The said newby must be made aware that she's started a "dumbed down"
  version of Emacs, and encouraged to switch a standard setup.

Yes.

(iii) The most standard way of starting emacs (i.e., the command "emacs")
  must start the standard setup.

No.

I think all these things can be achieved with a simple alias:

    % alias emacs_easy='emacs --load /path/to/lisp/emacs-easy.el'

     % alias emacs_uneasy='emacs --load /path/to/lisp/emacs-uneasy.el'

   "You are running an Emacs configuration designed to be easy to
    _learn_.  When you have become somewhat proficient in its use, you
    may wish to switch to a standard Emacs setup, which is optimised for
    ease of _use_ rather than ease of learning."

"You are running an Emacs configuration designed to be easy to _learn_. If you think you are smart enough and want to become a real Emacs user then you can switch to an Emacs hero setup which is optimized for those who are able to learn it."

Other than that I think the idea is good, but I would prefer Stephens way to actually do it.