Re: iswitchb

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: iswitchb
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:22:41 -0400

>> What probably should be adjusted here is the ordering when you've
>> typed in the exact name of a buffer; that buffer should just come to
>> the front of the list (with possible exceptions for foo<1> et al?).
>> That way iswitchb will get out of the way of people who expect the old
>> behavoir, but allow people to gradually learn the new behavoir.

> Yes, that what I thought later, reading again RMS case. In any case,
> *exact match* should alway take you to this buffer, with the exception
> of when you already are in this buffer.
> More generaly, I agree iswitchb should behave like switch-to-buffer
> for features they share.

The completion package that I use (and that I ultimately would like to
install as the default, tho it needs a lot of work or a rewrite) does
the following:
1 - first try completion the old way.
2 - if that fails, try completion the partial-completion-mode way.
3 - if that fails, try it with a substring search.

So compared to the current default completion, the behavior should be
different only if the default completion finds no completion.

Combined with icomplete-mode, it is reminiscent of ido and iswitchb.

        Stefan