Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:48:17 +0100

> What do you mean with "failed" here? Do you mean that the region is
> changed or that it disappears (or something else) when you have come to 3?

The highlighted region either changes along with point relocation - this
happens with `transient-mark-mode' and C-SPC (or C-SPC C-SPC if you have
tmm disabled) - or an operation gets applied to a different region than
the highlighted one - this may happen with mouse-selection (and can be
awfully confusing).

> If you use C-space then the region does not disappear - as I guess you
> know.

But it changes in some arbitrary fashion when `point' gets relocated
during scrolling.

> BTW, here is a suggestion:
> - If the region was not created with C-space (or something equivalent)
> then C-space should not cance the region, but make it behave just as
> C-space was used to create it.
>
> This could mitigate the problem that some commands (like scroll)
> deactivates the mark.

Why should scrolling deactivate the mark in the first place?