Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:27:10 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 02:16:54 +0200
>
> I think no face should be distracting.  In very rare cases, a strong
> color should indicate an error, so the user has to fix it immediately,
> thus removing this error together with the face indication from the view.

Is warning also okay to glare, or just the errors?
font-lock-warning-face has been glaring for ages.

> > If you really really dislike (hate?) the warning face, one thing we
> > could try is to make it red and non-bold on terminals that support
> > colors.  If that's an acceptable compromise, then we can safely go
> > ahead and make that change.
>
> Actually a good face to use is font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
> because it is not glaring as font-lock-warning-face.

As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, such a change will effectively
reintroduce the problem on text terminals that Martin Rudalics was
trying to fix when he made dired-warn inherit from
font-lock-warning-face.