Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:13:20 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't understand what "trying to figure out that ... were merged"
> means.  If there is a merge commit git just shows it as such.

"git log" gives you a flat view. When it encounters a merge commit, it
displays it, and the shows you the two (or more) branches merged by
that commit more or less concatenated together.

IOW, a revision that were brought in your branch by a merge and a
revision that you commited by yourself in the branch is shown in the
same way in git.

As opposed to that, bzr makes the distinction between "mainline
revisions" (that you commited in the branch), and merged revisions
(ancestors of merge commits that you brought here with a merge).
Merged revisions are shown indented below the merge commit which
brought them here.

That's a real difference in the way git and bzr deal with the history
DAG, not just about "log". For example, git merge defaults to
fast-forward (i.e. if you merge a revision you are a direct ancestor
of, you just jump to that revision without creating a new commit).

--
Matthieu