Re: very slow archive-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: very slow archive-mode
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:04:49 -0400

> As I've just found a bug in handling
> no-conversion-multibyte, I'll fix it soon.  After that, I am
> going to change auto-coding-alist to use
> no-conversion-multibyte for archive files, and adjust
> arc-mode and tar-mode.

> What do you think?

I think that the `binary' (better not call it "no-conversion" because
it's a misnomer if one of the ends is multibyte) coding-system should
default as much as possible to unibyte buffers and unibyte strings (so
it indeed does "no conversion" in that case).

> PS. Another idea is keep archive files in a unibyte buffer
> and have the file listing part in another multibyte buffer.

Yes.  I've introduced the new buffer-swap-text primitive specifically to
make that possible.

        Stefan