Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: James Westby
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:20:20 +0000

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 23:20 -0600, Jason Earl wrote:
> Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I tried
> >
> >   $ bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/branches/EMACS_22_BASE
> >
> > bzr ground for about an hour, using 100% of the CPU, then finally failed
> > with
> >
> >     bzr: ERROR: No such file:
> > 'http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/.bzr/repository/indices/5b5aedf70f9a908bd9b77d5e921f468f.tix'
>
> The process I use to update the Bazaar repository from CVS apparently
> moves some of the needed pack and index files around.  It's possible
> that you could go into the directory that was created and do a "bzr
> pull" and finish the download, but I am not sure if that always works or
> if I just got lucky one time :).

Hi,

Can you tell us what that process is?

(Apologies if I missed that in previous mails).

> I would suggest that you download the premade repository, cd to the
> branches directory and then do try your command again.
>
> $ bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/branches/EMACS_22_BASE
>
> This will be *much* faster as it will re use the changesets that trunk
> and EMACS_22_BASE have in common.  I am going to get in touch with the
> bazaar mailing lists and see if there is a better way to do what I am
> doing.  It's possible that using the "smart" server would protect you
> from this occurrence (I don't know), but the smart server is even slower
> when checking out these large branches.  Part of that may be the fact
> that my server is not very powerful and using the smart server puts most
> of the processing burden on the server end.

If this is caused by what I think it is then the smart server won't
help unfortunately.

I can recommend that everyone sets up a shared repository for
themselves (bzr init-repo dir), it will massively reduce disk usage
and time for some operations.

You need to do this before creating a branch, and then create the branch
inside the directory you create (the dir argument to init-repo). Then
all branches that you create under there will share storage where
possible.

Jason, did you create these branches in a rich-root-pack format
repository, or just pack-0.92 (the default with 1.0 or later)?

Thanks,

James