very slow archive-mode

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: very slow archive-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:47:58 +0200

Hi,

I regularly open Java source archive (JAR of several tens of megabytes)
in Emacs.  Recently I recompiled Emacs from CVS and noticed that process
of opening and parsing archive had become times slower (didn't measure
precisely, but I guess about 5--10x slowdown is there).  Can anyone
investigate the problem or just guess what changes caused it?  I don't
remember when I compiled Emacs previously, I guess it was a couple month
old.

Paul