Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:19:41 -0400

    But the feature we're talking about is specifically trying to change the
    behavior of those commands depending on whether they're triggered by
    a key with or without a shift modifier.  I.e. it's inherent to the
    desired functionality.

I thought the desired functionality was that certain non-shift keys
would disable the mark and certain shift keys would enable it.
There are various ways to implement it.

The cleanest way is one based on binding these keys to commands that
will do what is wanted.

There is a question about which commands should do this.  Some want it
to include C-f and all motion commands, but I think that is a bad idea.

If this applies only to arrow keys and a few function keys, it is easy
to do it just by binding those keys.

If this applis to all motion commands, then it is hard to do by
binding all the keys, there being so many, and some rebound in major
modes, too.  So it would need to be implemented by some special
feature that checks for shift.  But I think that is an unclean way to
do things.  Therefore, this is one reason not to make this apply to
all motion commands.