Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:16:32 -0400

    > I haven't thought hard enough yet about what his suggestion does, so
    > could you expand on its downsides?

    1) It binds special commands to the shifted keys, which doesn't
       work for minor modes which put different commands on the
       non-shifted keys.

Can you show a scenario so we can judge whether this has significant
implications?

    2) C-h k S-down doesn't show the doc string of the original command.

We could change C-h k to DTRT.

    3) It only works with transient-mark-mode off, so explicit
       region start C-SPC has no highlighting.

Can that be fixed?

    5) This approach is already used by s-mark and pc-selection-mode...

(Which approach is "this" approach?)

That does not seem like a strong argument, because neither s-mark nor
pc-selection-mode is normally enabled.