Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:39:39 -0500

    I think that when the minibuffer is active, we should still output
    a message, only differently (as does minibuffer-message).

I have doubts that this is uniformly the best thing to do.
I think that the best thing to do depends on the message:
some messages are good to display at the end of the minibuffer,
as in `minibuffer-message', and some are better just omitted
while in the minibuffer.

There are some messages that probably should be displayed as now,
replacing the minibuffer.  For instance, the messages displayed by
Isearch.  I think that is the best way to display them; I think that
displaying them at the end, as in `minibuffer-message', would look
strange.

It is possible that if we try displaying Isearch messages at the end,
we will like it.  But it seems unlikely.

My advice is that we should not rush to adopt a simple uniform policy
about this.