Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: TSUCHIYA Masatoshi
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:40:16 +0900

Dear Emacs core developers,

>> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:54:53 +0100
>> address@hidden (Michael Albinus) said as follows:

>Some minor concerns are the used GPLv2 (shall be GPLv3), and that it
>doesn't support Tramp. But this could be solved easily.

First of all, I will be willing to contribute the code of
shell-command.el into Emacs core under GPL3.

>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 01:17:22 +0200
>> address@hidden (Juri Linkov) said as follows:

>This is a useful feature to add to Emacs, and it is a pity it uses defadvices.
>Perhaps defadvices could be replaced by a new shell-command specific
>minibuffer keymap that just redefines TAB to perform completion on commands
>and file names.  What I mean basically is:

>(define-key shell-command-minibuffer-local-map "\t"
> (lambda ()
>   (interactive)
>   (require 'shell)
>   (let ((comint-dynamic-complete-functions
>          shell-dynamic-complete-functions))
>     (comint-dynamic-complete))))

This code is insufficient, because the output of `message' function
which is called from tab-completion functions will bury the current
completing status in minibuffer.

And more, the customize hook like `shell-command-complete-functions'
will be necessary, in order to enable users to customize tab-completion
functions.

Regards,

--
TSUCHIYA Masatoshi