Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:38:10 -0500

    > 2. If we need both, the name of the one for buttons should be
    > `mode-line-button' and the one for emphasis should be
    > `mode-line-highlight'.

    `mode-line-highlight' servers the same purpose as its counterpart
    `highlight' that historically is used to temporarily highlight text
    during mouse-overs.

They do not seem similar to me.  `highlight' is used for highlighting
text that is always present, and could be used on any text.  My
understanding is that `mode-line-highlight' is proposed for use on a
particular notice that will never appear without that.

    Since now Richard argued even for using no mode line indication at all,
    bold doesn't seem too bad.  It is not strong and still helps to notice
    the status of the vc command.

I am not arguing strongly against it.  Sometimes it is worth making
a new face.  I just want people not to do this hastily.