Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:31:50 -0800

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > And after that the people that like the emacs-19, 20 and 21 icons will
  > > come out and ask why aren't those icons to be installed by default?
  >
  > Why not?

Because it is useless for the vast majority of users?
The advantage of having a default icon is that it works without any user
intervention.

The 3 users that prefer old icons and have time to spare dealing with
this, can do the work and install any icon they want by themselves.

Why should we bother supporting such things?

Again, no other application does it, why should emacs do it?

  > > More, the emacs22 icons are not available for all sizes and formats
  > > (no .svg).  We will get bug reports that a format is missing.
  >
  > I don't think so.  KDE is smart enough to choose the best fitting one.

Except that if the one missing format is what the user requires by
default, it will look ugly => bug report.

  > > It's simply not worth it to have to deal with all these things. Keep it
simple.

  > There is nothing complex about it.

Of course there is.