RE: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:01:19 -0800

>       files 420/694 space used 19646 available 56456000
> I think
>       files shown 420 in dir 694 their size 19646 available 56456000
>
> is cleaner, for the usual case where the buffer shows one
> directory (or a subset of it).

Feel free to adjust it as you like.

BTW, what you propose works not only for the usual case, but also for any
included subdirs. Each subdir listing has its own such info line.

> Does the "files shown" get updated by all the Dired commands
> that alter which files are shown?  If not, I think it is misleading.

No, unfortunately. I use `dired-after-readin-hook' to trigger the update,
because I don't know of a better way. But that hook is sometimes run without
all the files being shown (for some reason).

For example, if you use `+' to create a directory, the hook is run with only
the new directory shown. However, in that case, the directory header is also
now showing, so it is at least not updated incorrectly to 1 - it remains
(incorrectly) what it was before the `+'.

Anyone know of a better hook to use for this or a better way to trigger the
update?

Wrt it being misleading: If no better implementation is found, to have it
update automatically in all cases (e.g. chmod, deletion, file copy,...),
then the doc should say that it is updated only when the directory is read
in. It should be enough to say that you can use `g' at any time to update
the files figures.