Re: lexbind

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lexbind
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:26:44 -0500

    > (1) What are good ways to declare certain variables dynamic?

    `defvar' is the standard way to do that.  CL offers ways to do it inside
    `declare' macro calls, but I don't think it's an important refinement.

I am not sure `defvar' is enough.  The reason is that using it to fix
existing packages may require renaming.

    > (2) What packages will break?

    Hopefully none since the lexbind branch only uses lexical-binding when
    the code asks for it.

I did not realize that.  In that case, installing it won't break
anything.