Re: yank-match.el -- yank matches for a regexp from kill-ring

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: yank-match.el -- yank matches for a regexp from kill-ring
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:07:46 +0200

>>> Rather than stuffing it into simple.el, I guess I'd create a new file
>>> yank-match.el (suggestions for other destinations welcome).
>
> Your file uses ";;;" incorrectly.  Most of those should be ";;" (the
> ";;;" should be used to separate sections).
>
> But in any case, there's no need for a separate file for such
> a small function.
>
>> (defun insert-yank-from-kill-ring (string)
>>   "Insert the selected item from the kill-ring in the minibuffer history.
>> Use minibuffer navigation and search commands to browse the kill-ring
>> in the minibuffer history."
>>   (interactive (list (read-string "Yank from kill-ring: " nil 'kill-ring)))
>>   (insert-for-yank string))
>
> This looks good.

To avoid possible confusion I want to reiterate that a new command
`yank-match' proposed by Karl is useful on its own, and would be more
useful with some improvements (to behave like `yank-pop', but using
a predicate to match patterns on the elements of the kill-ring to select
the next element).

OTOH, a simple command I presented is not a replacement for the command
`yank-match'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/