Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} in

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} input methods
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 11:31:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> What bothers me is that the same input method suddenly switches the
> encoding I need to use from under my feet, just because I used one
> particular character supported by that input method.

Huh?  That's not related to the input method at all.  The input method
switches nothing.  It is the presence of the character (and in the
unicode-2 branch, we don't even have to unify those characters anymore)
in the buffer that requires some specific coding.

> And on top of that, if I already used some of the characters not in
> Latin-9, my only practical choice is UTF-8.  Somehow, this sounds
> wrong to me, but it looks like I'm the only one bothered by that, so
> maybe this problem exists only in my eyes.

It is not related to input methods.  In fact, I find it somewhat silly
to have different latin-x input methods at all.  Why don't we replace
them all with a single latin-x input method, or with language specific
ones?  It seems somewhat pointless to have input methods that
meticulously avoid producing a certain character when this character can
be produced by any number of other means.