Re: Why multibyte for original-article buffer

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Why multibyte for original-article buffer
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:44:14 +0900

> Indeed, I see that.  The patch below will fix it.

It works.

> -         (insert-buffer-substring gnus-original-article-buffer)
> +            ;; `insert-buffer-substring' would incorrectly use the
> +            ;; equivalent of string-make-multibyte which amounts to decoding
> +            ;; with locale-coding-system, causing failure of
> +            ;; subsequent decoding.
> +            (insert (mm-string-to-multibyte
> +                     (with-current-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer
> +                       (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max)))))

This might be the most suitable occasion to decode raw data into
the human readable ones rather than only converting the multibyteness.
It suggests there will also be such items lying about here and
there.  Though I think it should be done for the second step.

> Yes, the Gnus code is full of such things.  I suggest it's time to take
> a step back and think about how things *should* work.  Then change the
> parts for which we know how they should work.  This will introduce bugs,
> but then we'll know that the bugs are elsewhere and that fixing them
> will get us closer to a good solution.

Great.  I agree with installing those two changes as the first
step, though it might force non-ASCII people to live hard with
No Gnus for a while,   I will one by one fix or at least report
things caused by it.

Regards,