Re: Problem with narrow vs condensed fonts

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Problem with narrow vs condensed fonts
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:00:34 +0000

Kenichi Handa wrote:
By the way, I think having different numeric values for
Windows is not right.  The function font-spec accepts also
numeric values for style parameters (:weight, :slant,
:width).  So, it is better that the numeric values are
consistent in all versions of Emacs.  Is it difficult (or
time consuming) to map windows numeric values to what
specified in font-XXX-table in w32_enumfont_pattern_entity?

It is probably quite difficult and error prone, as we would be mapping a larger range (100-900 for weight on windows) onto a smaller range (0-210), and the mapping appears to be non-linear. Although in practice, most fonts probably use the fixed values currently defined in font-weight-table, I don't think it is guaranteed.

I don't think users will be surprised if numeric weights are defined as backend specific. Perhaps we shouldn't even allow them for the x backend, since they are not supported natively.