Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current work

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current working directory is on a vfat or ntfs filesystem
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:07:25 +0000

Chong Yidong wrote:
What do you mean by quoted-printable?

Given that we already use % as an escape character, and that = could be mistaken for an environment variable assignment, I think URL encoding might be more suitable. But the differences between the two are trivial.

I was thinking that we could instead change all unsafe chars into the
same character, e.g. an underscore.  I don't think there is much risk
of name clashing (in the first place, we already use make-temp-file to
generate a unique filename.)

We already have code in place to do the escaping, so moving to a less comprehensive solution does not save us any effort.