Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:38:59 +1300

 > >  > !       (propertize " [waiting...]"
 > >  > !                   'face 'font-lock-variable-name-face
 >
 > I much prefer your wording.
 >
 > With regards to the face, any chance of a new one? I know this is what
 > people always say, and that for some reason creating new faces is
 > sometimes frowned upon. The practical reason is, the mode-line often
 > has a different background colour to the main buffer, so a font-lock
 > face customized to look good in the buffer may look poor on the
 > mode-line. Eg for me, font-lock-warning-face is practically invisible
 > in the mode-line.

I don't know enough to suggest a better one.  Perhaps someone else can.  I just
selected a quiet font-lock face, as font-lock faces are always available.

On a related note, I think that adding colour to the mode-line of the already
psychedelic compilation buffer means ironically that the plain text starts to
stand out.  Bright colours only draw attention to a part of the screen if they
are used in moderation.