Re: Extensive changes during pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Extensive changes during pretest
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:34:31 +0200

> From: Michael McNamara <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:24:52 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

> > Why are so many changes being checked-in so late in the pretest?  They
> > don't seem to be bugfixes to me (see below).
>
> My changes are all bug fixes. Note I and my colleagues have been maintaining
> this mode for 15 years at http://www.verilog.com, including a test suite.
> With
> this release of emacs, we are including the current version of verilog-mode.el
> as a progmode inside of emacs-22.  It would be excellent if we start out with
> the current version of the verilog-mode.el in the emacs-22 release.

How long ago was this version of verilog-mode released to the users,
before it was committed to the Emacs CVS?

I realize the urge to ship the latest and the greatest, but Emacs 22.2
is a bugfix release, so it must be stable and relatively bug-free.
Adding new code that had little chance of being used runs a risk of
destabilizing the release.

> Please let me know what you would like me to do.

I'm not in a position to tell you that, I will leave it to Stefan and
Yidong.  But in general, committing new code on the release branch is
better done with great care, and it is my personal opinion that prior
discussion should be preferable.

In any case, thanks for working on verilog-mode.