Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current work

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current working directory is on a vfat or ntfs filesystem
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:44:10 +0000

Richard Stallman wrote:
    That's indeed what we should do.  If and when we ever get support for
    filesystem-knowledge in the code, we may revisit this choice, but for
    now, please someone change the code that auto-generates those filenames
    to avoid characters known to be problematic.  Or better yet: to only
    use those chars expected to be always work.

I think that changing from # to something else is a drastic change,

# is not the problem, at least for vfat and ntfs filesystems. The problem that was reported was with the *s in #*scratch*#12345xyz#.

If we limit the change to non-file buffers (which seems reasonable, since the default is to save the auto-save file in the same directory as the file, and if there are invalid characters in the name of a newly created buffer, the user will need to fix it before they can save anyway), then there is already an escape mechanism in place to deal with / and \ characters. Extending that to also deal with other characters does not seem too drastic.