Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current work

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current working directory is on a vfat or ntfs filesystem
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:01:31 +0000

Miles Bader wrote:
Isn't that sort of dangerous?  If Emacs only uses characters which are
_garanteed_ to work on any no matter how stupid, that would seem to
dramatically increase the chances of a clash with a real filename...
autosave files and backup files already have that possibility, but noone has worried about it in the past. By avoiding *?<>|" and control characters, we slightly reduce the possibilities for file names, but I don't think the chance of a clash realistically increases that much, as long as we use some unusual characters like # and/or ~ and append the process id or whatever the number is we're appending.

Even on filesystems that support them, those characters can be problematic for naive users who forget to quote them, so avoiding them is a good idea in general.