Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:00:38 +0000

Hi, Miles!

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:10:05AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> > Wrt emacs -nw: I can't speak to this, because I no longer use Emacs without
> > a window manager, but from Alan's report, perhaps the default should be
> > different for emacs -nw. He seemed to be reporting horrible dark blue
> > flashes or something. Maybe others can comment on whether the default should
> > differ in this case.

> I regularly use tmm on both X and tty displays, and I don't think
> there's any problem with tmm on ttys using the default faces (in fact I
> quite like the "blue" tmm region face used on ttys) .

> I think basic problem is Alan's visceral dislike of tmm, not any
> particular problem with tmm on ttys.

Hey, I had to look that word up in a dictionary.  I thought it was an
insult, but it's not - merely accurate.  Thanks for the new word, Miles.
;-)

Yes, I dislike TMM, but not only viscerally, intellectually as well - it
takes a starkly simple and intuitive concept, the mark, and turns it
into something complicated with masses of detailed rules.  Still, enough
people like it that there must be substantial benefit to offset the
complexity.  Thanks to the the people (Drew, Stefan, ...) who've made
this understandable.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).