Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:17:36 +0000

>     > But even this is not necessary: cua-selection-mode uses C-SPC C-SPC
>     > to set the mark without activating the region (more precisely the second
>     > C-SPC cancels the region activation).
>
>     No it's not.  If that feature is desired (seems ok to me), it should
>     just be added to normal t-m-m.
>
> That makes sense to me.  Just as C-SPC C-SPC enables a temporarily
> specially active region when that's not the default (Transient Mark
> mode disabled), it could set the mark and not activate in the mode
> where activating is the default (Transient Mark mode enabled).
>
> I am not sure whether it is useful, but there is no reason to reject
> it if it is useful.

FWIW I think this would be useful.

This is what I had in mind when I proposed that C-SPC C-SPC could
temporarily negate `transient-mark-mode'[1].

And now I realize that, if C-SPC C-SPC temporarily negates the value of
`transient-mark-mode', then swapping the commands behind C-SPC and C-SPC
C-SPC [2] is strictly an equivalent of setting `transient-mark-mode' to
non-nil by default.  Or am I missing something?

[1]  <address@hidden>
[2]  <address@hidden>

--
Bastien