Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:53:55 +0100

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> What about this:
>>>
>>>   C-SPC  set the mark and temporarily turn on Transient Mark mode
>>>     C-@  only sets the mark
>>>
>>> C-SPC C-SPC would be used to temporarily negate transient-mark-mode.
>>> (For now it does not *negate* it, it turns it on temporarily.)
>>
>> Veto.
>>
>> I think the current behavior is quite convenient and fits the needs of
>> those who don't want a permanent transient-mark-mode best.
>
> My point is that there are really two ways of having the active region
> highlighted by default: either by setting transient-mark-mode to t, or
> by letting C-SPC turn Transient Mark mode temporarily on.

The difference is that in the case of setting transient-mark-mode to t I
can still put (transient-mark-mode -1) in my .emacs file to get back the
old behavior.  In case of the later "solution" there would be no way to
get back the original behavior -- or am I mistaken?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde  :  "The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel
the article, then hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids,