Re: image scaling

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: image scaling
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:48:14 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course, we could take the approach of writing our own "fallback"
> code for when the libraries aren't available, but that negates the
> point of using the libraries in the first place.

Not if the fallback code sucks.  Like pretty much all of Emacs'
image-handling code does now.

> As for refactoring the Emacs image code, I'm not sure if there's any
> urgency for such a project.  The code isn't elegant,

The understatement of the year.  Have you followed the code path for
displaying the various pixels of an image?  Please do so if you have not
done so yet, and then repeat that statement with a straight face.

> but it's simple enough to understand and work on; and I don't know of
> any performance problem in the way Emacs handles image pixmaps.

You must be kidding.  We have an image cache exactly because Emacs can't
handle images close to reasonably efficiently.