RE: tooltips for minor modes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: tooltips for minor modes
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:01:01 -0800

>     It would be nice if the mode-line :lighter for minor
>     modes would have a
>     tooltip with a brief description of what the minor mode is.
>
> I think it is a good idea.  We could perhaps establish a convention
> that a certain part of the doc string of the minor mode function is
> used for this.  Or, if that would require changing too many doc
> strings, we could have some other way to specify the string for this.

Perhaps add a :help keyword to `define-minor-mode' etc.?

Note that if Dan's other suggestion, about having at least a rudimentary
menu that supplies a Help item, that would lessen the utility of or need for
a tooltip. But I too think a tooltip is also a good idea - I support both of
his suggestions.