Re: Bug trackers

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bug trackers
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:27:32 -0800

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     What I kind of imagine is that bits of emacs which are relatively
>     separate would end up with their own "package" and this mailing list
>     (or the people responsible?) would be primarily tasked with fixing and
>     resolving them.
>
> The issue here is to consider using a bug tracker.  To change the way
> we package Emacs would be a completely different issue (and I don't
> think we should do so).

Definetly; my point wasn't about changing the way emacs is developed
(if a bug tracker were to cause you to do that, it's probably the
wrong one to use).

> What leads you to raise the question of packaging in relation to
> using a bug tracker?

Debbugs currently is based on the assumption that every bug is
assigned to at least one package. In terms of a distribution, this
makes perfect sense, but it's different for applications. When you're
developing a single application like emacs, I'd imagine you'd separate
bugs into "components" or similar of the application, like "gtk
interface", "documentation", or "elisp" (as examples; you all'd come
up with better ones.)

That's really done just to help organize bugs, but is kind of
fundamental to debbug's internals.

Don Armstrong