Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: paragraphs.el: do forward-sentence and friends not work?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:52:01 +0000

On 14 Feb 2008, at 14:43, Stefan Monnier wrote:

without the lexicon, you can achieve 97.7% accuracy (on English) using the right regular expressions, and I think this will be similar for other
languages as well. I think that's good  enough for M-e and M-a.

But the period-single-space vs period-double-space distinction allows us
to get it right 100% in many more languages than just English.

Do people write like this in other languages?
From our discussion here today I take it that they don't. Thus, your accuracy may be more like 20% in other languages or even parts of the world, assuming that one if five either adopt American conventions or find the customization variable. This will probably work or it won't, depending on the particular user.

If my Aquamacs statistics (as attached) are a representative sample, about half the Emacs users are located outside the US. (And I'm pretty sure that there is a very strong Japanese population that skews this even further). How many of these commonly use double-spacing?

Do you want users to adapt to the software, or do you want the software to provide what is needed to deal with a user's needs?

Consider that variable width fonts are more common now. I do most things using variable-width fonts, including LaTeX editing. Maybe that is why I never bothered with double spacing, even though I quite like it in principle.

I'll shut up with this. Still, should people decide they want a patch using the Grefenstette et al. method (or even something more modern), I'd be happy to work that out.