Re: change cursor type when idle

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: change cursor type when idle
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:35:12 +0100

On Feb 12, 2008 4:19 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know when this was added to CUA; I wasn't aware of that when I wrote
> this, which was in November 2005.

C:\...\lisp> grep-changelog --reverse --text=cua-.*cursor
2002-05-13  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

        * emulation/cua-base.el (cua-enable-cursor-indications): Default off.
        (cua-mode): Print Enabled/Disabled messages if interactive.
        Disable delete-selection-mode and pc-selection-mode when cua-mode
        is enabled; reenable if cua-mode is turned off.
        Remember setting of transient-mark-mode when cua-mode is enabled;
        restore if cua-mode is disabled.

2002-10-07  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

        * emulation/cua-base.el (cua-normal-cursor-color):
        Fixed initialization to make "Erase Customization" work.

2004-04-14  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

        * emulation/cua-base.el (cua-read-only-cursor-color)
        (cua-overwrite-cursor-color, cua-global-mark-cursor-color): Doc fix.

2004-04-30  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

        * emulation/cua-base.el: Add support for changing cursor types;
        based on patch from Michael Mauger.
        (cua-normal-cursor-color, cua-read-only-cursor-color)
        (cua-overwrite-cursor-color, cua-global-mark-cursor-color):
        Customization cursor type and/or cursor color.
        (cua--update-indications): Handle cursor type changes.
        (cua-mode): Update cursor indications if enabled.

[etc]

But I think when was the code written is now irrelevant, as cua-mode
is already in 22.X.

> If a merge or refactoring with CUA code is in order, then I would think it
> would be for CUA to use the code from a separate library, as opposed to
> making users who want only the cursor changes use cua-mode.

It would perhaps make sense to move the cursor-related stuff from
cua-base to a new cua-cursor, like the global mark and rectangle
support are, or even to a non-cua library (compatibility should be
maintained, though, so we'll end with a bunch of cua-*-cursor-*
aliases).  But anyway, your "using cua-mode" is a bit misleading; you
can use cua-mode features without using CUA keys or the like.

             Juanma