[22.1.90]: Point before start of properties

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: [22.1.90]: Point before start of properties
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:35:00 -0000

During pretesting before 22.1 I reported a problem whereby occasionally
I would see the minibuffer message "Error in menu-bar-update-hook:
(error Point before start of properties)" and the hook would be left
with a value of nil.  (See "Error in menu-bar-update-hook: (error Point
before start of properties)" from July 2006.)  At the time I had a go at
tracking it down but without any success, and it continues to bite me
every so often to this day.  So, occasionally, I have to do M-x msb-mode
twice to turn msb-mode off and then back on again.

I was hoping the pretest version might magically have a fix for it, but
unfortunately not.  I figured I would have another go at debugging it
and found that it seems suspiciously easy to reproduce.  All I have to
do is this:

(gdb) b intervals.c:794
Breakpoint 1 at 0x195d90: file intervals.c, line 794.
(gdb) r -Q

Then in emacs do C-x C-f ~/.../src/intervals.c RET and bang:

Breakpoint 1, update_interval (i=0x8b1af4, pos=1771) at intervals.c:794
794                 error ("Point before start of properties");
(gdb)

If I don't set the breakpoint before I run emacs, but visit the file and
only then in gdb put the breakpoint on and continue, I can trigger this
error just by scrolling the window with the scrollbar.

It seems too easy to trigger this error, so I am not sure I am really
seeing the same problem that occasionally results in
menu-bar-update-hook being set to nil.  Is the triggering of this error
normal in certain circumstances?  If not, is the above enough for
someone to take a look at it?  Otherwise, is there anything I can do to
track down the problem for menu-bar-update-hook?

Simon.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.90.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Motif Version 2.1.0)
 of 2008-01-31 on risksun2
Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.100015
configured using `configure
'--x-includes=/usr/openwin/include:/usr/dt/include:/usr/local/include:/u
sr/local/X11/include'
'--x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/X1
1/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=motif''

Misys and Misys International Banking Systems is a trading name for Misys
International Banking Systems Limited which is registered in England and Wales
under company registration number 00971479 and with its registered office
address at Burleigh House, Chapel Oak, Salford Priors, Evesham WR11 8SP.
THIS E-MAIL DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE COMMENCEMENT OF LEGAL RELATIONS BETWEEN YOU
AND MISYS INTERNATIONAL BANKING SYSTEMS LIMITED. PLEASE REFER TO THE EXECUTED
CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND THE RELEVANT MEMBER OF THE MISYS GROUP FOR THE
IDENTITY OF THE CONTRACTING PARTY WITH WHICH YOU ARE DEALING.