Re: Improving X selection?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 11:18:30 -0500

    Attached patch introduces an interprogram-highlight-function and
    extends values of x-select-enable-clipboard / x-select-enable-primary
    in an (I think) useful manner*.   The descriptions of the
    customizations may be overly verbose.

Adding interprogram-highlight-function seems good to me

Your proposed changes in x-win.el are very big;
what is the purpose?  Do they change the default behavior?

    Problem with select-active-regions is obvious: if you want it to work
    with both keyboard and mouse, it's not enough to reset the x11
    selection when the mark is reset, it needs to be reset when the point
    is reset too, or the selection and active region will drift out of
    sync until the next mark reset.

You have lost me already.  Partly because you've skipped an
important step -- you're talking about solving a problem without
showing there is a problem.

Why do you think there is a problem with select-active-regions?
Can you present a test case and explain what behavior you think
ought to be different?

The hook post-point-motion would be very costly,
so only a very powerful reason could convince me to install it.
If you convince me there is a problem, I will look for other
solutions; I certainly won't use this one.