Re: 23.0.60; Problems with Apple's libXft and configure

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Problems with Apple's libXft and configure
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:28:57 +0100

Am 01.02.2008 um 06:10 schrieb Kenichi Handa:

One problem libfreetype from Apple in X11 has, that it does not
understand FC_WIDTH and FC_WEIGHT_REGULAR which are not defined in
their set of C header files. So I need to use libfreetype 2.19 from
a "parallel" installation with Fink. Somehow I can't configure for
a GNU Emacs that uses most of the X libraries from Apple's X11 and
uses libfreetype and libfontconfig2 from Fink

I can now confirm that it's neither libotf nor libXaw3d or GTK2, it's
just that I need to add '-L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/
freetype219/lib' to LDFLAGS. This setting takes precedence to
whatever pkg-config retrieves ...

Does it mean that you can use Emacs with xft font-backend
now?

No. Since many weeks, maybe months, I have the X resource

        Emacs.FontBackend:      x

set or I launch GNU Emacs with --disable-font-backend. So I can configure with '--enable-font-backend --with-xft.' When I make

        Emacs.FontBackend:      xft

active GNU Emacs 23.0.60 crashes after a few seconds with

        Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault
        Exit 139

when I launch it without --disable-font-backend. So libXft still cannot be used for font rendering (though it works in Apple's xterm). I could use it last summer (or autumn ?) last time, but the results were not recognised as an improvement and documentation is so sparse that I did not see a chance to make it look better, make it use my preferred font.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists of "Ten Best."
                                – H. Allen Smith