Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:59:29 +0000

On 28/01/2008, David De La Harpe Golden
<address@hidden> wrote:

> > I would not be entirely happy with that, because I would rather have
> > some way to interact with the primary selection from the keyboard.
>
> *** Well, indeed.   In part  3 of the hack, where I used
> activate-mark-hook (used in transient-mark-mode),  by the description
> of activate-mark-hook, I was expecting activate-mark-hook to be called
> and therefore primary to be set whenever the mouse IOR the keyboard
> was used to set or adjust the active region and transient-mark-mode
> was on,

Okay, more nearly on same page now, see the "select-active-regions"
you introduced equivalent to the hook*.  So I'll stop calling it the
hook now.  Anyway, it's not happening in some circumstances.

* Maybe might want an interprogram-highlight-function to indirect
through like interprogram-[cut|paste]-function, rather than embedding
a direct call to x-set-selection, which I presume doesn't work on
non-X11 ?  Though of course, on platforms other that X11, users
probably don't expect highlight-middlebutton copy/paste to work
interprogram like it does on X11 in the first place...