Re: Host name for su(do)?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Host name for su(do)?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:10:57 +0100

"Trent W. Buck" <address@hidden> writes:

>> "127.0.0.1" as host name doesn't seem to be needed; if
>> somebody uses it, s?he will be taught not to do.
>
> Hee hee, I only learnt to use 127.0.0.1 because Emacs 22 / TRAMP 2.0
> wasn't working with /multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:/ but it
> was with 127.0.0.1.

Oops. I'm not aware of this Tramp 2.0 problem.

>> `system-name' will mostly the unqualified system name I believe, so it
>> is already compliant to your request. Or am I wrong?
>
> On my system, system-name is the FQDN.  Assuming system-name is what
> the default frame-title-format uses, this has been the case for as
> long as I can remember (back to Emacs 21).

init_system_name() in sysdep.c is rather complex, so it might depend
on your actual configuration what's the result.

But I could add the result of `system-name' to the host completion
list for the su(do)? methods. If a user types "/su:ho <TAB>" in the
minibuffer, it will be completed to either "/su:host:" or
"/su:host.domain:", whatever `system-name' returns. That shall be
sufficient I believe.

Best regards, Michael.