Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:09:05 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
However the most easy way to do that is probably to add a character to
the menu title string that could not possibly be part of the title. That
way we could easily support w32 and, eh what window manager (is that
what handles menus?) used _ to mark the accelerator? (Jan D, I think it
was you that told about this when I asked before. GNOME?)

Is there any drawback with such a simple design? Could we for example
use char number 1? It should be very easy to implement for w32 and the
other case above (where char 1 is just replaced with & and the other
case where it is replaced with _).

I haven't followed this. But I would be against having any (printable)
character in a menu-item name be interpreted specially and not just treated
as part of the name. It is not the case that some (printable) character
"could not possibly be part of the title" - whatever (printable) character
you choose, someone will want to use it in a menu item. `_' can certainly be
useful in a name.

I don't know if that is what you meant, but if it is, please find some other
mechanism, or at least allow for escaping the instruction character. An
alternative might be to use an unprintable character.

You misread my suggestion. I suggested using char number 1. Perhaps there is some better character?