Re: w32 issues

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: w32 issues
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:38:53 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You mean that printing is broken?  I don't agree with your wording,
but I have no objections to saying something like "Emacs will hang if
the user tries to print to a port that has no printer device connected
to it."

Since that issue is a Windows problem, and unfixable in Emacs AFAIK, I think the problem to put in FOR-RELEASE is that the DEFAULT setting for printer-name on windows is a port that in 2008, will not be connected to a printer for probably more than 90% of users.

I am confused by all the code we have for printing these days. There is a function default-printer-name, which would seem to offer a big improvement on what we have now. It is used in dos-w32.el in functions called from printing.el, but the code in printing.el does not seem to be involved in the standard ps-print-* or print-* commands.

It looks to me like

  (defcustom printer-name
    (and lpr-windows-system "PRN")

should be just

  (defcustom printer-name nil

If printer-name is nil then the routines in dos-w32.el will use (default-printer-name).

But it does not help directly for the problem that Emacs hangs badly if it is a GDI printer on a USB port. But maybe we can just check that the name contains USB and assume if so at least warn the user? (In my case it is "USB001".) However I wonder if we should not issue the same warning in other cases too (see my previous messages).

Jason, you mentioned a work around setting up the printer to be networked. Is not the chance that it is a GDI printer rather high and that it will not work because of this?