Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:56:37 -0800

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:40:51 +0800
CHENG Gao <address@hidden> wrote:

> *On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500
> * Also sprach Sam Steingold <address@hidden>:
>
> > Note however that with CVS, getting CVS head and building it is
> > hardly more expensive than downloading a source tarball - wrt both
> > bandwidth and disk space.  With git, the situation is vastly
> > different: you cannot just get the head, you always get the whole
> > change history, so instead of 40MB, you will be getting and storing
> > 200MB.  This may not be a big deal these days for many people, but
> > it might be a showstopper for some.
>
> Yes you are right. Ever I tried to git clone emacs git repo at home,
> and it took forever so I had to abort the mission. I got a 2m ADSL at
> home. Instead I git cloned it in office, and it took only several
> minutes with 10M line. My experience and worry is git clone may be
> slow for slow connections.

good point, even in the U.S the midwest is still on dialup outside of
the major metro regions. I am on broad-band so I never checked if git
has a "resume" option to continue a clone operation that is interrupted,
or if that is integral to clone.

The second, third world is also a consideration e.g The current architect
of the parrot project lives somewhere in Africa. There is alot of talent
outside of the regions that are blinding on a connectivity map.

Another thing that has not been mentioned is the usefulness of dropping
or limiting history. I made a slight mistake in the arguments to git
log and I ended up with a 23 Mb log buffer that went back to the 'mid 90's.

Some potential pitfalls to consider. I don't think they are show-stoppers
but they are scenarios that need consideration.