Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:50:38 +0900

Giorgos Keramidas writes:

 > ... and this scratches the surface of the `new feature' of a DVCS.
 > There is still a `central' repository, which is well known and used for
 > the official releases.

Technically, this is not true.  I know of several projects (the late
great Arch project, for one; SXEmacs, for another), where essentially
no pair of users who were building from source were working with the
same tree, let alone the same repository.  Official releases came from
the repository of whoever was the release manager du jour.  They were
defined by globally-valid "tags", not by repository.

The central repository is a social construct in a dVCS.  And the trunk
is a social construct in a dVCS.

However, for most projects, including Emacs, both social constructs
will emerge naturally, even automatically.  It is not something the
core Emacs stakeholders should worry about; in Emacs, it will take
care of itself.